Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Orientierung vor der Abreise und der Musik

Tonight I had my Pre-Departure Orientation. This orientation was meant to take place in person in Burlington over Memorial Day weekend, but I was on Cape Cod celebrating one set of Grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. In the place of an in-person function, my orientation took place over the phone with a dozen or so people in a situation similar to mine.

Unfortunately, I don't have any earth-shattering news that I learned from this two hour phone call. We talked about what our expectations were, any concerns we had, and Floyd, the AFS volunteer conducting the phone call, stressed the importance of following the rules and being a good representation of the United States while abroad. Interestingly, I learned that an unusual amount of students abroad get sent home for shoplifting...

My question is why would you even try to steal something from a store while you are abroad and know that one infringement like this could get you sent home? DUH!

I'm getting anxious to know where I have been placed in Germany, and who my host family is. I would typically be more patient, but there was only one other person going abroad next year who didn't know where they would be living.

I also have to find a gift to bring to my host family. Vermont is a pretty unique place, so I have no doubt I'll be able to find something that's truly "Vermont" to bring to them. The volunteer in charge of the orientation surprised me when he said that pancake mix is a very popular choice to bring abroad because many other countries make waffles or crepes for breakfast instead. The pancake mix might be a winner of an idea because I know what goes best with pancakes, and I hear Vermont makes a lot of it...

What else? Well, I started today with my intensive learning of German through the highly rated computer program Rosetta Stone. I have completed four lessons in about two to three hours, which means I am a 24th of the way done. I know I won't be bored this summer!

I concluded my last post with a German song from the 1980's. I'll admit, that song was pretty awful. This time, however, I looked to what is popular now. I never really thought about the fact that there is rap music in Germany, but there is! Let me present to you the song "Das Alles ist Deutschland" by Fler and Bushido. It's funny, but I'll admit it's catchy at the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment